The International Motor Show Germany, or simply Frankfurt Motor Show, in German known as the Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA – International Automobile Exhibition), is the world’s largest motor show. It is held annually, with passenger vehicles (including some motorcycles) being displayed in odd-numbered years inFrankfurt am Main, and commercial vehicles in even-numbered years in Hanover, Germany. Before 1991, the show was held solely in Frankfurt.
The IAA is organized by the Verband der Automobilindustrie (VDA – Association of the German Automotive Industry) and is scheduled by the Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d’Automobiles. Currently, the show in Frankfurt occupies twelve buildings.
The origins of the IAA can be traced back to more than 115 years. In 1897, 8 motor vehicles were exhibited to the public at the Bristol Hotel in Berlin. From these humble beginnings, a regular exhibition was established. Due to its high visitor and exhibitor turnout, the IAA was developed into a yearly alternating exhibition of passenger cars and commercial vehicles in 1991.
The International Motor Show Cars (IAA) is the world’s most comprehensive show of the automotive industry for everybody who develops, manufactures or uses passenger cars. A special feature is the large presence of suppliers throughout the whole automotive value added chain. Around 400 exhibitors from the supply industry are presenting their products.
The IAA shows a unique broad range of the automotive industry:
- Passenger cars
- Special motor vehicles
- Motor vehicles with two or three wheels
- E-Mobility & Car IT
- Parts and accessories
- Model cars
- Products used for operation, care, maintenance and repair of motor vehicles
- Professional literature and periodicals
- Organizations and corporations related to road motor vehicle engineering, motor vehicle traffic, transportation business
- Protective clothing
- Test drives
- Special shows and Specialist Events
- Special action for grown-ups and kids, e. g. test rides, SUV-track, kid’s cinema
- Symposia and conventions for trade visitors
- Special interest exhibitions, e. g. Classic Cars, Recruiting or the “New Mobility World” on the topics
- Connected Car, E-Mobility, Urban Mobility and Mobility Services
- Programs for pupils and students
- Tuning, memorabilia, model car collectors fair “Automania”